In 2016, Covestro, a producer of base chemicals for the plastics industry in the port of Antwerp, became the first and only chemical company to receive the ‘Lean & Green Star’ for reducing the CO2 emissions and energy consumption of its logistics operations by 20% in five years.
Participating companies were required to detail the CO2 emissions of their logistics activities and submit a complete action plan to reduce emissions by 20% to the Flemish Institute of Logistics (VIL). Those action plans were then evaluated by the University of Brussels (VUB).
Covestro reached the objective through a number of actions:
- A modal shift from barge to pipeline for the transport of sodium hydroxide
- Investing in a new compressor for compressed air for the transport of pellets
- Optimising the ship’s payload for delivering raw materials to a sister company in Tarragona, Spain
- Adapting packaging to optimize the filling of containers and increase the payload for containers and trucks
- Switching to electrical fork-lift trucks.